Well, that was certainly unexpected – an award nomination for little old me? Really? Before I thank my Mum, my Dad etc I must extend my hearty thanks and appreciation to fellow blogger V. V is blogmaster (blogmadam?) of The Verbal Spew Review, a review blog that’s well written, fun and just damn well entertaining. I strongly advise that you check it out here (if you haven’t already).
Seriously though, I am genuinely humbled to receive this nomination and if you’re reading this then thanks for stopping by and I hope you’ll find something to enjoy on this little blog of mine…perhaps even subscribe/follow? I’d also love to hear from you all so please feel free to add your thoughts by commenting on the various posts.
Anyway, on with the show…
Firstly, for anyone unfamiliar with the Liebster Award there are a few rules to follow should you find yourself attracting a nomination:
- Post the Liebster Award graphic on your site.
- Thank the blogger who nominated your blog.
- The nominee is asked to write 11 facts about themselves.
- Answer the 11 questions from the post of the person who nominated them.
- The nominee will nominate 9 other blogs.
- The nominee will then create 11 questions of their own for their nominated bloggers to answer in their Liebster post.
So there you have the rules, I’m not sure if the numbers 11 and 9 have some special significance but without further digression below are my nominations for this prestigious award:
The Verbal Spew Review – in addition to my above hearty thanks and appreciation I would like to return equal appreciation to V and hope whoever is reading this (yep, you AND you) will check out The Verbal Spew Review.
Jordan and Eddie (The Movie Guys) – Australia’s top film blogging duo.
Tim’s Film Reviews – entertaining film reviews and trailer discussion.
Some Films and Stuff – insightful film reviews.
Vinnieh – well written and thought provoking film opinion.
Hard Ticket to Home Video – a humorous take on the world of film.
Snippet Studios – a healthy mix of opinion on the realms of film, TV, video games and foodstuff.
Lucas Fothergill – aspiring journalist and writer Lucas offers up his thoughts on films and music.
The Cinema Monster – top film reviews, news and top tens.
Moving on, here are 11 facts about myself…
- I can’t stand gravy or coffee.
- I’m left handed.
- I passed my driving test ten years ago but haven’t driven since.
- I’m so clumsy and accident prone that I’ve earned the nickname ‘Frank’…as in Frank Spencer from the classic 70s BBC sitcom Some Mothers Do ‘Ave Em. I am not currently involved with a lady named Betty.
- I recently won a copy of Ian Fleming’s Casino Royale in a film quiz (our team coming third). Shame I already have the Kindle book.
- I prefer The Dark Knight Rises to The Dark Knight.
- I was a massively fussy eater up to my late teens but will now eat all kinds of exotic and spicy foods (so long as no gravy or coffee is involved). I even cook and understand my cooking is actually successful.
- I’ve met comedian Jimmy Carr three times.
- Despite my high level of geekiness, I’ve never been to a convention. Does that mean my geek credentials shall now be revoked?
- I am not a fan of any sport (unless geeking out about stuff should be considered one?).
- I recently turned 31 and my hair is greying at the temples a la Mr. Fantastic!
So there you have my 11 facts, now on to my answers to the 11 intriguing questions (I’ve edited some of them slightly for space):
- It’s Friday today, HUZZAH! What are you up to this weekend? Whoops it’s now Saturday (sorry). Well it’s actually a quiet weekend this week for me. So, aside from this piece it’ll be a bit of Mass Effect 3, some TV and a couple of films with a beer. I’ll also be cooking my speciality chorizo pasta this evening.
- Top tear-jerking moment in entertainment? Easily the death of Spock in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan which always chokes me up (and I’ve seen it about a million times). Of course he’s back in the next film but it’s such a powerful scene complemented by Kirk’s heartfelt eulogy, who says William Shatner can’t act?
- If you could listen to only one album for the rest of your life, which album would you choose? It would have to be U2’s The Best of 1980-1990. So many great iconic songs.
- Have you a phobia? I fear Shepherd’s Pie, the mere sight or smell of it makes me feel physically ill.
- What upcoming film and/or game are you most looking forward to, and why? Film – Thor: The Dark World because it’s a Marvel film and looks pretty damn good. Chris Hemsworth IS Thor and the superb Tom Hiddleston is an awesome Loki (should it stink, at the very least there’ll be Natalie Portman, Kat Dennings and Jaimie Alexander to enjoy). Game: Batman: Arkham Origins, Arkham Asylum and Arkham City were triumphant achievements in comic book video game making. Well written stories, great gameplay, atmospheric and incredible environments – I love games that just draw you in and take you to another place.
- What is the best chat-up/pick-up line you’ve ever heard or used? A friend of mine once recommended “did it hurt when you fell from heaven?”. Ouch.
- What character, be they in film, TV, comic, literature or game, do you most relate to and why? That’s a toughie, I’m not sure I can narrow it down to one. At a push I would say Peter Parker aka Spider-Man, because like me he is the nerdy, well meaning underdog that just battles on with the trials and tribulations of everyday life…
- What do you sing in the shower? I tend to hum tracks from film scores, lately it’s the theme from Bond film On Her Majesty’s Secret Service…can’t beat a bit of John Barry!
- If you could go back to any place or period in time, where/when would you choose to go and why? Probably the late 1960s, specifically 1969 to watch the Moon landing live. Not just a technological and sociological triumph but a moment which, however brief, united people the world over – something that seems far away these days. Gosh that was deep.
- You have a hot date and he/she is coming around to your place for dinner and maybe later some dessert. What do you cook to suitably impress? Probably one of my pasta dishes, followed by ice cream?
- What’s the best prank you’ve ever pulled on someone? Or have had pulled on you? Years ago, the morning after a party I sat down for a fry up breakfast with some friends. Nature called and when I returned to the table, there was a cup of tea waiting for me which I proceeded to gulp. I quickly realised that it didn’t quite taste right and my friends confessed to lacing the brew with a few drops of Vodka, some Tabasco, a squeeze of ketchup and probably all kinds else they still haven’t told me about.
So now it’s time for the questions I’d like my chosen nominees to ponder (if you’re still reading, thanks for sticking with me so far, not long to go now – I promise!):
- Kirk or Picard and why?
- Is the glass half full or half empty and what liquid does it contain?
- What is your favourite film/TV quote and what significance does it hold for you?
- What’s your favourite film score?
- A man walks into a bar…
- Jack Daniels or Southern Comfort?
- Do you have a film/TV guilty pleasure (or pleasures)?
- Who is your idol and why?
- PS4 or X-Box One?
- What makes you laugh?
- What makes you cry?
So, over to my nominees – until next time, that’s all folks!